Al-Zaheriyah Library dates back to 1277 A.D; it took its name from
its founder Al-Zaher Baibars. Building this library was his fatherís idea but he
died before he could achieve it. Al Zahiriah used to be -in the beginning- a
school in charge of teaching Quranic sciences. The decorations, carvings, and
writing on the building walls, in addition to the gate which bears geometric
designs and patterns, make the library one of the most important buildings in
Damascus. The manuscript department includes 13,000 manuscript, and the oldest
one among these is: "Al-Imam Ahmad Ben Hanbalís question of faith".